Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Saskatoon visit, part four: a new Canadian, just in time for Canada Day!

On Wednesday, June 20, Claire became a Canadian citizen. It's a bittersweet moment; although we are thrilled that she is now a citizen, it means she loses her Chinese citizenship because China doesn't allow dual citizenship. This may be better in the long run (I speculate that if she were a Chinese citizen, she could be called into service if she visited China as an adult) but it is nevertheless a loss. It reminds me of how I felt when we left her home province of Jiangxi.

Oh well, enough of the contemplative stuff. Isn't she a lovely Canadian?


5 comments:

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Where do I begin? Yes indeed, Claire makes a beautiful Canandian. Congratulations! My favorite pic is the one of Claire walking and holding hands with Paul. She looks so wee-small along side of her tall Daddy! She's such a beauty, Monica.

I totally relate to the feelings of losing Chinese citizenship and the same feelings leaving Jiangxi. It's their beginning, how can we not feel a strong connection, right?

And finally, so nice to see you, Shea and Rae together. I miss you guys...

Beth said...

Congratulations Claire. I keep trying to get on the site to check on our progress, but it always tells me to make sure I put in the correct info. I think I am. We were hoping to hear before Canada Day too, just 'cause that would be cool. YOu do make such a pretty new Canadian, but we know you'll always be a spicy girl at heart:)

Kim said...

YEAH... Congratulations Claire.. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun..
Have a great week.
Kim

Beth said...

Wow, I just managed to check the citizenship status (I was using the wrong number, duh!) and you'll never guess. Our little Edmonton girls became citizens on the same day!!!! How cool is that?

Rae said...

Congratulations on your citizenship, Claire! Just in time for Canada Day. And what a beautiful photo...she's such a doll.

Have fun waving your flag this weekend, Claire!

xxoo