Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Claire's first day at "school"

One of my friends from our international adoption group told us about a nursery school in our neighbourhood where your child can go for two and 1/2 hours a day for two days a week. The toddler class is very small - just 9 kids - and the teacher and her assistant came highly recommended.

I knew immediately that I wanted to look into this for Claire. Although we do several classes and other activities together, she rarely is comfortable enough to really be herself in those settings for several possible reasons: too many kids, not a good fit in terms of the activity, or too large a physical environment. I've often thought that my presence may hinder as much as it helps in those settings: although I offer comfort, she would rather be in my arms than join in the play and be her usual fun self.

Claire and I observed at the nursery school last week and it was obvious Claire would love it there. The teacher and her assistant are incredibly warm and genuine people, the atmosphere is cozy and calm, and the kids all very gentle. I was thrilled to receive the good news that Claire could attend in the fall on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I was just as happy to learn that a spot was immediately available on Tuesday mornings.

This morning, Claire started "school". As per the teacher's instructions, I stayed until she was settled in and then I quickly sang our goodbye song, wished her a fun morning and left. She began howling as I left the room. Yow. The way she was soon sobbing left me to think she'd cry the entire time, which just tore at my heart. We have left her with family and a couple of close friends before but never with people she barely knows.

Thankfully, my friend Marianne knew how tough a morning it would be for me. We arranged in advance that we'd go for coffee and then shop, shop, shop. Of course I couldn't stop thinking about Claire but Marianne definitely helped to distract me. Perhaps more importantly, my morning plans ensured that I wouldn't go back to the nursery school and disrupt Claire's adjustment to her new surroundings.

When I returned to the nursery school, Claire was fine! The teachers were so happy to be able to give me the good news that she had done really well. She cried very hard for the first 45 minutes but from there they were able to calm her down. From that point until I arrived, she had jumped, danced, and laughed! Hooray! She had such a good time in fact that when it came time for Claire and I to leave together, she didn't want to go. Definitely a good sign!

Claire is very much looking forward to going back to school and keeps saying "tomorrow?" I found out that there is no class next week because of spring break unfortunately, but I'm sure she'll get back in the groove the following week.

Here's Claire outside her school doors on her very first day of nursery school. What a big girl!

5 comments:

Kim said...

LOVE the picture...
Claire is sooo pretty and such a big girl...
How fun for her to be able to do that..
Have a Great Week..

Shea said...

She looks so cute for her first day of school. I'm glad you had a distraction for the morning, and that she's looking forward to the next session. It's nice that it's a small class with nurturing adults. Imagine the errands/activities you'll be able to accomplish while Claire's at school. Or maybe just enjoy a cup of hot coffee.

Rae said...

Who would have thought that Claire's first day of school would be before she even turns two! It's great that you've found a place where she feels comfortable enough to be herself.

Yay for you, Claire, for doing so well on your first day! And you look so grown up in your school clothes.

I'm also happy to hear mama did okay, I'm sure the shopping helped a little. Did you buy anything or just window shop? ;)

Karla said...

You are such a good blogger ... so consistent!
Yes I remember the first morning of daycare... agony for me and I was so pleased the staff were marvelous and let me call every half hour. And, yes, she did great. little buttons are growing up so fast .
See you next Sat.
Karla and AnnaLeisa

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Way to go Claire! We are so proud of you.

Monica, this sounds like a great program...just enough to give Claire her independence and you a bit of time to yourself. Hope things continue to go well.

Love the picture outside of school on her very first day!

xo