Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Deck the halls

These photos are from a couple of weeks ago when we decorated the house for Christmas. I had planned tonight to post Claire's first official photo with Santa but I'm having problems with my scanner.

We bought a new artificial tree this year, and as usual, our cat Kitsya was quick to claim the box as her own. While Paul and I figured out how to put the tree together, Claire engaged in one of her favourite activities: trying on gloves and hats from a little chest we keep near our front door. As is the case whenever I'm more than a few feet away from Claire, Kitsya "babysat".
Claire was an active participant during the tree-decorating process.
And she had the honour of placing our angel atop the tree. Here she is moments after she placed the angel on top and then grabbed it back. She thought it was hilarious to put it on, then take it off, put it on, etc. Meanwhile, Daddy's back was breaking.

If you look closely about two thirds the way up the tree, you'll see Kitsya happily perched. We tried to fight this but finally gave up because there was no stopping the tree-obsessed cat. I have to say, she's pretty careful at least: she hasn't knocked down any ornaments and more importantly, hasn't knocked down the tree.

On December 6, Claire awoke to find presents in her Robeez boots. It's a German tradition that on St. Nicholas Day (December 6), children get treats of candy in their shoes. As a German, Ukrainian and Chinese family, a little creative license was taken with this tradition. Instead of candy, Claire received what will become our St. Nicholas Day tradition: new Christmas pajamas and a special ornament. Below, Claire models her new pjs while examining her ornament.

6 comments:

Rae said...

Another a great post, Monica. I love the creative license you've taken with St. Nicholas Day...what a wonderful tradition you've started for Claire. She looks like she had fun making her dad hold her up to the top of the tree!

Your tree looks lovely and Kitsya adds a special touch. I can't believe she sits so high up in the tree! Has she always done that?

I'll be looking forward to seeing Claire's Santa photo. Was she afraid of him?

Beth said...

Whew, at least there's a new post. I was about to send a nasty mail since you were teasing me two days ago! Sorry to hear about the scanner, now I can be more patient!
She looks like a little elf in those jammies:) I totally can't believe that cat. That's truly amazing. She didn't do that when we were there I don't think?
I loved the post as always.

Shea said...

There's nothing cuter than Christmas jammies! What a great tradition!

That picture of Kitsya is hilarious. My 13-pound cat would bring the whole tree down if he tried that! For now he's content to play jungle cat and sit under the tree.

I also like the picture of babysitter Kitsya, with Claire trying on the clothes. Hey, if it keeps her busy...

Kim said...

Love the pictures...
Looks like Claire loved the angel...
Love the p.j.'s and the ornament...
Great Tradition..
Hugs to you..
Have a Great Weekend

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

It's so much more fun with kids, isn't it??

Love the new pjs. I love buying jammies, so K has lots of xmas ones!

Love the picture of Claire with the hat and gloves. K loves to do the same thing!

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

P.S.

I can't believe the cat is in the tree like that!!! Amazing that she can sit there like that.