Monday, November 12, 2007

Cold turkey and some stuffing

Today is day five for Claire without a bottle. So far, she's doing great!

I decided that cold turkey was the way to go because cutting back just wasn't working: as long as Claire was getting a bottle, she expected another one again at a particular time. Also, she's been quite clingy to me for the last little while (I think her teeth are bothering her) so I figured that if she had me for comfort, she didn't need the bottle as well. She asks for a bottle about once a day but gets over it quickly when I offer her milk in a glass instead.

Claire's verbal skills continue to grow. She now says about 65 words without prompting (or being asked to repeat us). However, I think that only about 30 of those would be recognizable to someone other than us. She's starting to put two words together now too: Hello Daddy /Kitty / Mama, I do. Last week for the first time, she said "more ham". Of course, whenever we go out, she totally clams up and people remark how quiet she is. Not at home, I tell them!

She's enjoying her building blocks a lot these days, and is starting to enjoy her puzzles more and more. She likes playing with alphabet letters that we've put in reach for her: M for Mama, D for Daddy, C for Claire, K for Kitsya, G for Grandma / Grandpa, F for Family, P for Puppy and most recently, S for Uncle S. (We add a new letter every once in a while.) If we ask her to get D for Daddy, for example, she'll run to the fridge, pick the correct letter and bring it to us. We wonder if she's recognizing the letters based on their shape, their colour or a combination.

Claire still loves colouring with her crayons and markers, and has also been enjoying Play-doh a lot lately. She's also big into songs and asks to sing them together by using either words or motions: "I"m a Little Teapot", "Row, Row your Boat", "Ring Around the Rosie", "Ba Ba Black Sheep" (which she asks for as ba ba dee), "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and many Kindermusik songs.

Unfortunately, Claire-bear is becoming a bit of a TV addict. We bought her a Backyardigans DVD (the International Superspy one) and she asks for it all the time by singing "Spy!". And darn it, those songs are so catchy that Paul and I sometimes sing one of the songs without realizing it and then it prompts Claire to ask for the show. She doesn't appreciate it when we don't give in at every request!

At approximately 29 inches tall and 17.8 lbs, Claire is starting to fit into her 6-12 month clothing. Although petite, she's definitely a little lady now as opposed to a baby. She also has a mouthful of teeth to prove it: 15 now, and we're waiting for the number 16 to cut through any day. Her second year molars are giving her trouble but since her first year molars gave her trouble long before they appeared, my guess is that her second year molars won't appear until the new year.

For some reason, I didn't take new pics this week (only ones for the Christmas cards, which I won't share yet!), so no new pics with this post. However, our families haven't seen these great pics that Beth took of Claire, Ava and Caia being all smoochy back in October, so I thought I'd post them in lieu of more recent photos.

6 comments:

Shea said...

I love the smoochy pics! The black and white photos make an impact--good choice Beth.

It amazes me how much their brains absorb now, and how much older the girls seem. I understand your caution in singing or saying anything related to Backyardigans. I dare not say count, or Elmo, or even bird. Otherwise I listen to pleas for "Sessa" for the next hour. These shows do know how to hook kids and adults!

I'm glad the move away from a bottle has gone well. I haven't tackled that yet. Do you warm her milk at night?

Rae said...

Great update, Monica, I love to hear what the girls are up to. I'm impressed that she's faring so well without her bottle, we haven't even begun to think about that one yet.

Claire's vocabulary is amazing, as are her singing skills! I'd love to see some video of her performing her songs (hint, hint).

Are the Backyardigans going to be in Edmonton? They're coming here in January, I may have to cave in and take Bryn, she loves anything to do with music.

I can't wait to see Claire's Christmas photos, I'm guessing they'll be beautiful!

Beth said...

I'm having a good day, 2 new blog updates so far, now if only we could see miss K it would be a totally awesome day! So glad the bottle disappearing seems to be going fine. Mine has been off awhile, but still had warm milk at nap and bed. Lately, though she doesn't seem so interested. I've just been giving it to her through the day. I think she now associates it with sleeping so she's protesting. I think it's so funny how they act so differently at home vs. out. Not surprising though, seeing as home is a safe haven. Mine seems to be a goof everywhere! I do love those pics, it reminded me I'd like to print some out for her room. I can't believe she's doing letters too, I'd better get to work:) thanks for the great post. So exciting.

Kim said...

Love the little kissy pictures...
Those are too cute...
Yeah for CLaire...
No bottle..
And she sounds like the smartest little girl around...
How neat...
She is a little tiny thing...6-12 motnhs clothing...
WOW..
Can't wait to see the Christmas photos...
SHe will be adorable..
Have a Great Week.
Kim

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

I should be in bed, but...

I very impressed with your move to no bottle. Like Rae, I haven't thought about that yet. With the move to the sitter next week, I think I leave her with it for comfort. But at some point it will go and like you, I think cold turkey is the way to go. Good for you guys and especially Claire!

Can't wait to see xmas pics!!

Kath said...

Great update. Claire is growing up fast. Great things come in small packages!

Maeve still takes a bottle (or 2) first thing in the morning. But that's about it. Milk doesn't agree with her, so we try to give her lots of water and juice during the day.

The pictures are beautiful. Can't wait to see Christmas pics.