Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day camping trip

Last night, Claire and I took Daddy camping for Father's Day. Okay, so Paul still had to do a lot of the work but for anyone who knows me, I'm not much of a tenting kind of gal (was as a child, not so much as an adult). Paul knew this was a treat.

Just in case Claire had a bad night or something, we went somewhere close by - really close by. We left our place at 4:15 yesterday afternoon and twelve minutes later, we were not only at the campground but I had already registered us and bought firewood. For someone like me who thinks she hears terrifying wildlife outside the tent every minute or so, I was happy to be camping in the middle of the city.

We were happy to find that Claire is an awesome little camper! Her favourite part of the evening seemed to be going into the tent to play. We had to make it clear that come bedtime, there would be no jumping around. Thankfully, at bedtime she did settle down nicely and she ended up sleeping soundly until 8 a.m.

Claire loved collecting spruce tree needles, rocks and a lot of dirt (you should have seen her fingernails!). We even saw some wildlife with three beavers busily working in the creek next to us.

Claire's first foray into camp fare revealed that she loves hot dogs: and doesn't like marshmallows, even if they are prepared to a delicious burnt crisp. This is Paul demonstrating how to bite into a marshmallow (she had been trying to pick off little pieces instead). Next came the Jiffy Pop ... ... but Claire doesn't seem overly crazy about popcorn. I think she liked the process, though. Next time we'll have to try s'mores and banana boats to see if she likes those any better.

I found out that all (well, some) of my old skills from Brownies and Girl Guides still exist and that I'm not actually a horrible camper as an adult. Perhaps the little pep talk I gave myself actually worked. In any event, we all had a really good time and I'm pretty sure we'll do a few more overnight camping trips again this summer.

Lots of love to you, Paul, this day and every day. Happy Father's Day.

A very Happy Father's Day to all the other dads we know and love. We hope you are all having a great day.

7 comments:

Kim said...

Happy Father's Day Paul...
LOVE the pictures..
Looks like you had soooo much fun..
Have a Great Week...

Jednet said...

What a treat for dad. Love the pictures of daddy and his little girl. You certainly are a special wife to get all stinky around a campfire and to sleep in a tent in this less then ideal summer.

Dawn

Shea said...

What a great way to spend Father's Day! Those are great pics of Claire and Paul. It looks like you had great weather. Imagine the places you could visit this summer!

Happy Father's Day Paul.

Beth said...

Too cute. Helena aaahhhhed a long time over that first one. Glad to hear she's a camper girl. that outdoor air does help the sleeping I find. Funny about the marshmallows, maybe the texture, 'cause who doesn't love the sugar??

Rae said...

It sounds like Paul had an awesome Father's Day! What a great treat for him (and a huge sacrifice for you, Monica!! teehee!). What a wonderful idea.

I'm amazed that Claire slept so well in a tent. I think you'll be up for many more tenting trips in the future, good thing you have an "urban" campsite!

Unknown said...

Hilarious write-up! Maybe she'll like the camping food next time you try. She may just not like it at that moment -- i recall hating some foods when i was little, now I love them. What's that saying? Tastes can change?... Makes me want to go camping and have roasted weenies on the campfire!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, one more thing! I love the zeal and gusto that Claire has chomping on that hotdog!!! Hilarious & awesome picture!