Sunday, October 14, 2007

Ice ice baby

Yesterday we finally got the chance to take Claire skating! We went to nearby West Edmonton Mall where of course it was super-busy. When it's full-blown winter outside, we'll be able to take her to our neighbourhood rink, only a block away.

We're not quite sure what Claire thought of her skating adventure. She was pretty solemn about the whole affair, and after about ten minutes said "all dee", signalling to us that she had enough. Once we got our skates off and exited the "paid" area, she then said "again". So, maybe she did like it. Hard to know!

Here's a short clip of her experiencing life on skates:

We really had to hold Claire tightly; I wasn't sure what kind of support she would need and it turned out to be a lot. (Perhaps her helmut, the smallest we could find, was affecting her balance too.) I think she will need a lot more experience before we'll be able to even just hold her hands for gentle support. It's a pretty exhausting activity for Paul and me as a result, so I'm sure we'll keep our skating adventures short and sweet for the time being.

I love how our feet look next to each other!

9 comments:

Rae said...

Omigosh, that video is so cute! I'm sure the helmet was throwing her off a bit, as you said, but once she gets used to that I bet she'll be off and doing laps around you. She must have attracted quite the crowd, she looks so adorable in all her gear.
Those are quite the skates, I didn't notice in the first pix you posted they have double blades. Are all little kids' skates like that?

Beth said...

Too cute. Little Claire with all her gear. I bet it did affect how she felt, not having to deal with all that when walking. Yep, that could cause a trip to the chiro in a big hurry!
Loved the video and PS Yep I'm up for gymnastics, where were you thinking? I have some info on one here at the U of A.

Stu Kehrig said...

She looks like the Great Gazoo.

Kim said...

How adorable...
Love the little barbie pads...
You are probably right,,, the helmet is pretty big...
She will get it...
GO CLAIRE!!!!
Have a WONDERFUL DAY!!!
Kim

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

yay Claire! I think you did just wonderful for your very first time! Gotta be hard on the back for mommy and daddy though :) Skating is just one of those things...practice, practice, practice. I know you can do it Claire!

Kath said...

Great job Claire! You'll be skating circles around mom and dad in no time.

Shea said...

I forgot how much gear she'd need in addition to skates! Did she fuss when you put the helmet and knee pads on her? I think she did very well for her first time on skates.

Monica said...

Claire didn't fuss about the equipment but you could tell she was overwhelmed by it all. We'll have to get her used to her helmut by letting her run around with it on at home!

Gigglestuff said...

Awesome skating pics! Those are the cutest skates I've ever seen!