Thursday, June 05, 2008

Good friends and godparents

During our Saskatoon visit, Mom, Claire and I did a day trip to my hometown of Humboldt. It was fun to cruise around and see what's changed and what hasn't but more than that, we were there to visit good family friends Elaine and Dennis, as well as my godparents, Auntie Olga and Uncle Richard.

Elaine and Dennis have several grandchildren - all but one of them are boys - and Claire had a blast checking out all the cool cars, trucks and tools at their house. I'm not sure if Claire remembered Elaine and Dennis from when they visited us in March but she warmed up to them really fast again anyway.

Mom, Elaine and Claire getting reacquainted:

Claire and Elaine in the backseat of our car before going for a cruise through town:
Later that afternoon, we visited my Auntie Olga (my dad's sister) and Uncle Richard. I was thrilled that Claire finally got to meet these important people in my life. My Auntie Olga is one of the sweetest and warmest people on earth. Apparently, people said the same thing about her mom (my grandma) who died when Dad was young. They have five girls who are all married with children. It was really nice to hear what everyone is up to and to see pictures of the individual families, since I remember attending most of the girls' weddings as a kid.

Claire, Auntie Olga, Uncle Richard and my mom:

Claire saw me kneel for a picture a little earlier so I guess she felt she should strike the same pose:
As we were leaving, I gave Auntie a big hug. Right away, Claire was there saying "me too", not about to miss out on a hug from Auntie.

Thanks to both families for making our day trip a great one!

5 comments:

Kath said...

You certainly packed a lot of visiting into your trip.

I'm sure it brought you immeasurable joy to share your precious girl with such important people in your life. Glad to hear that she warmed to everyone so quickly.

Jednet said...

Where's the picture of you kneeling?

You guys sure did get around during your stay back East :-). Wow, and Claire wasn't even fussy? You are one lucky Mama. I just love seeing all of Claire's little outfits. Did someone crochet that little yellow and white top for her?

Dawn

Monica said...

Hah, the picture of me kneeling is awful. It wasn't the best "pose" to start with and then of course I had my mouth open because I was blabbing.

A friend's mom gave us that cute little top. We think she bought it at a craft sale.

Claire was an amazing traveller! I forgot to mention that in the blog somewhere, I think. She never made strange or fussed except for in the car on the way back to S'toon from Humboldt.

Rae said...

Kath is right, you sure can pack a lot of visiting into a two week trip!

I love Claire's little sweater, it's just beautiful!

Shea said...

How special that you were able to take your little girl to meet important people in your life. That kneeling photo is hilarious! What a mimic, and good memory too Claire.