Friday, May 18, 2007

Claire's week in review

We enjoyed Grandma's company for a week and were sad to drop her off at the airport on Tuesday morning. She gave me a much-needed break to do some weeding in the garden and window-washing, but more importantly, Grandma's company kept Claire stimulated! It was interesting to see how Grandma would sometimes initiate a different type of play with Claire and her toys than I do; I now have more tricks up my sleeve.

On Tuesday afternoon, we visited Claire's pediatrician and the occupational therapist. Claire is growing in height, weight and head size at a good, normal pace, but the pediatrician, like me, hoped that Claire would be fatter! She is underweight for her height so we were advised to still feed her primarily her formula and rice cereal and then if we can get any food into her beyond the recommended amounts of formula and cereal, we should try fattening snacks such as Pediasure, full-fat yogurt or toast with butter and jam. Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to get her to eat all her formula and cereal plus other stuff! I can see her taking the other stuff (because it's different and probably yummier) but the formula and cereal are supposed to be the priority. Just to help out a little, the pediatrician is referring us to a dietician. It'll be interesting to see what he or she recommends.

Claire is a mover and a shaker big-time, so I think she simply burns all the energy she consumes. She's still close to walking (I always think it's only days away!), crawls everywhere, and does the stairs like nobody's business. She's still big into her yoga move, downward dog, as well. Here's a little clip of her practising her balancing the other night. She doesn't practice this much during the day - she just really shows off when Daddy gets home!


Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

The doctor, having told me in our last appointment that speech is usually delayed, was surprised to hear from me how many words Claire now says. I estimate that she uses the following words correctly / appropriately about 75% of the time or more: Mama, Dadda, puppy, kitty, baby, up and hat. Hat is her newest word and it sounds so cute when she says it because it comes out sounding a little French - more like "at". She almost always puts something on her head when she says it.

The pediatrician recalled that in our first meeting, I questioned whether Claire is truly as old as we were told. At that time, she thought she probably was, based on her alertness, etc. but now she is quite confident of it given Claire's developmental progress. I was very relieved to hear that her birth date is probably accurate or at least close, as it is one less mystery to Claire's past. In all, the pediatrician was very happy with Claire's progress and even commented a couple of times that Claire is "quite engaging". Yeah, we think so too!

On Wednesday, we attended Claire's last Kindermusik class in the Village series. We start a new class in a different, closer location next week. It was really interesting to see Claire open up over the seven weeks of class. In this last class, Claire was the most interested in the other babies that I'd ever seen her and if another mom had an interesting toy, Claire was not shy about crawling up to her and trying to get it. So much for the statement I'd made to the doctor a day earlier about her experiencing some stranger shyness! However, perhaps she recognized that our Kindermusik participants are no longer strangers - I'm not sure. Here are a couple of photos from Kindermusik.

Today we're going to play indoors and perhaps go walking at the mall because it's raining again. The forecast for the entire long weekend calls for rain. Ugh! Later today, we're going to see Rod, Marianne and their dog, Ryder. We can't wait to see them again!

6 comments:

Shea said...

Grandmas know all the tricks of the trade, don't they? I too find it interesting that they can bring a new perspective to play.

It's good to hear that Claire is progressing well physically. Imagine the calories she's burning these days! She's obviously doing well if she has that kind of stamina. She'll gain weight in time, I'm sure.

Beth said...

You sure look sure of yourself Claire. I love the video clips because it's so much better to see her in action. So proud of herself too. I notice that James does different things when he reads the books than I do. Nice for them to have some variety in their play.
See you at the park Friday, we hope.

Rae said...

Another great video....you'll be walking soon, Claire! I can't believe how strong she is for such a petite little girl. How much does she weigh now?

It's interesting how everyone puts a different spin on books and games when playing with children. At our "advanced" age we'd forgotten a lot of the games and songs we used to play with our nieces and nephews. Thank goodness people come to visit and play with Bryn as it jogs our memories and we always have something new to do!

Elizabeth said...

It's so nice to follow the journeys of families who walk alittle ahead of me. Claire is just lovely. There are so many mysteries to our daughters, I was stuck by your post when you mentioned a bday for her,I think we will have to pick a day closest to the information provided. Is this how you did it too?
Lovely pictures, it's clear she is very loved and your mother's day must have been so special.

Monica said...

Claire weighed 14 lbs and 6 ounces at our appointment, a little down from where she was a couple of weeks ago. I think teething has really affected her appetite and / or desire to eat.

To Ms. Dragonfly, we celebrate Claire's birthday on the estimated date provided to us in her proposal. I'm thrilled that we now have no reason to question its relative accuracy.

Gigglestuff said...

LOVE THE VIDEO CLIPS -- I'LL WATCH IT AGAIN TONITE WITH SOUND! But that's so great. I am so excited that she can almost walk. She is sooo darn cute with balancing! I screamed with the 'wwwwooowa' factor! She seems like so much fun!